Friday, September 21, 2018

HAL, OPEN THE POD BAY DOORS…
















I am Dave Bowman and my AE-35 Unit has malfunctioned…
I would sit alone with Roy Frumkes’ copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I found the much needed time to become one with the film… Never keeping others out of the screening room but the print was mine for the evening, to watch it my way and not concerned with fellow students who wanted to see it in a single screening...I watched it like I would read a book starting where I wanted and ending where I wanted, to study the film as one would a textbook engrossed in each scene as if chapters, there are still films, mostly Kubrick films that I watch the same way to know better how they worked to that point…
I would often borrow the film from Roy just to study Kubrick, the film, a film...I would often watch a film to understand its importance…
It was a few years ago that I came upon the idea that 2001 was a film about God and like God made mistakes...a power who or that recognised the necessity to flex its power over humankind to complete its mission within its understanding and perception of the task at hand...
HAL is God, he doesn't think so but for that moment, out of necessity he is God and must act like God to protect the integrity of the mission… You think you need those pod Bay doors opened, for what, to maintain the integrity of the mission… Everybody, including HAL, has a sincere motive for their actions which includes the missions integrity…
But the most important mission is Dave's when he realizes he is to go on a journey for himself and to further humankind, a duty he has been entrusted to keep, off to a far away planet from which he returns with a new existence for him and humankind...


No comments:

Post a Comment